Monday, June 09, 2008

Starting off right

It's midday, but the light is bright and clean like the early morning sun. I'd been traveling since 7 AM on the bus, heading into the countryside for the second Women of the Bible workshop this year. Arriving in La Union, I find my way to a pollerĂ­a and order something off the menu. For 3 soles ($1 USD) I get to choose from a range of meals, all starting off with a huge bowl of soup which could be my whole meal itself. After truly enjoying every bit of lamb with beans and rice, I run into Vickie, Efegenia and Victoria on the street, the ladies I was hoping to meet up with. We headed up to the Assemblies of God church (in the photo above).

Our first order of business is to throw some sheep skins, yes sheep skins!, on the wood plank floor of the second story of the church. We then unfold mantas, or blankets, to make up our beds. It doesn't take very long until we are flopped down, laughing, all tired from our long journeys.

It's moments like these where cultural differences fall off like dead skin and we thrive in our similarities. It doesn't take long to make connections cross-culturally, especially when we're related by the blood of Christ. We had a great weekend together!

No comments: