Saturday, May 02, 2009

Food, Glorious Food!

No one can convince me that I suffer much as a missionary, because I really enjoy a lot about Latin American life and culture! As you move into another culture, one of the first things you might notice is the food, so I'll start there! I feel I need to point out that I believe I have successfully executed my duty as Nathan's auntie to introduce him to classic foods by bring Cheetos into his life! You can't get those in Peru, so there were several bags of Cheetos at my goodbye party at the airport. You can tell that Nathan enjoys them as much as I do if you check out his orange-y, cheesy fingers and smile!


My travel from Portland to Peru took 24 hours, and part of that was a 5-hour layover in San Jose, Costa Rica. Yes, I was heading to Costa Rica the subsequent week to start language shchool, but my cheaptickets.com itinerary just happened to take me through San Jose on the way to Peru! I landed in the international airport in Costa Rica at 5am, bleary-eyed from the all-night flight. I dragged my bags into the tiny food court where I found...Burger King! I'm not a fan of fast food, but this was a fun introduction to Costa Rican food. If you want breakfast at Burger King in Costa Rica you get: gallo pinto (rice & beans), egg, and coffee. It can also come with tortillas for a little extra. Yummy!


Once in Lima, Peru (for 4 full days), I managed to indulge in a few Peruvian classics. Those are "chifles" on the left: thin, crispy, salty banana chips, and that's "cancha" on the right, which is toasted c
orn (think really natural corn nuts).


As a special treat, my friend Deborah and I met at Mangos, which has a lot of my favorite Peruvian dishes, and is perched inside a cliff overlooking the Pacific ocean. God does a good job of taking care of His loved ones, doesn't He?

2 comments:

Ben and Harriet Purkey said...

Amy - It has been quite a while since I've read your blog, and I just happened upon your "food" blog written a few days ago! I must admit that we don't suffer here in Mexico, either, food-wise. We took a guest tonight to one of our favorite restaurants here in town. The guys ordered stuffed clams, and I had seafood pasta. I couldn't possibly eat all of mine...it was rich and creamy and full of shrimp and clams and scallops and other little wiggly things!!! The guys kept raving over their stuffed clams. The only disappointment was that the flan was too hot to serve! Oh well...next time.

Glad you are doing well. Enjoy your time in Costa Rica at language school! We had three exchange students from there, and Rebecca went there one summer, when she was in high school.

Saludos!
Harriet & Ben

amy lineburg said...

Hey there! I just saw this comment and had to say: Kudos to Mexico for the best food I've ever had (sorry Peru). I just loved it...and need to write a blog about it soon. I'm still processing the past 3 months, most of which I was on the road, but Mexico was a highlight!