Monday, January 04, 2010

Day One in Moravia

Today I start working out of the central Wycliffe office for the Americas, located in Moravia, a suburb of San José, Costa Rica.  Even though it was not named for the Moravia in the Czech Republic, I'm always reminded of those Moravian missionaries famous for their uninterrupted, round-the-clock prayer service that lasted for 100 years.


Here's a bit from Wikipedia on these guys: The first missionaries were sent out when there were only 300 inhabitants in Herrnhut. Within 30 years of their beginning, the [Moravian] church sent hundreds of Christian missionaries to many parts of the world, including the Caribbean, North and South America, the Arctic, Africa, and the Far East. They were also the first to send lay people (rather than clergy) as missionaries, the first Protestant denomination to minister to slaves, and the first Protestant presence in many countries.


The current motto of the Moravian church is: "In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, love". That's what I was thinking about as I was driving to work today, where a bunch of people from a bunch of cultures, traditions and languages are working together to see that everyone has access to the Words of God in their language and an opportunity to receive His love for them.




This is a drawing made from the description of a Moravian missionary in order to document the indigenous culture in which they were living in Newfoundland.  I love the kid popping out of the boot. Source here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good analogy Amy. When I first was reading your account of the day and saw the word Moravia I even thought that "wait a minute, you are in Costa Rica not near Turkey etc." And that this name did remind you of those wonderful people who did so much for missions and YOU are now doing the same. I was also yesterday thinking how unimportant I was feeling my life is here in Eugene (I was reading Stones into Schools) but God brought to my mind that I ama having an effect for Him not only here in my little corner of the world BUT I am supporting you (and that YOU are MY daughter) and you are reaching for me into the farther reaches of HIS world.

amy lineburg said...

Thanks, dad! It's amazing to me that God could use me, and use me so other people could connect to what He's doing all the way in another country....and I agree that He is using you in a big way right where you are. I think we are going to get to heaven and be surprised. We can't imagine all the incredible ways God is using us to draw people closer to Himself!

Unknown said...

Hey just for the record it is me, MOM who wrote that :):)

amy lineburg said...

Ditto for you! Love you!!