Friday, August 24, 2007

Huaylas NT Dedication

The Huaylas New Testament was dedicated at the beginning of August in the city of Huaraz. Most of you probably have already heard about the dedication because you get my email updates. If you'd like to start getting my (monthly) emails, just let me know!

We started the dedication day with a march (photo above), something most memorable occasions begin with here in Peru. There were around 2,500 people at the ceremony which included the presentation of the New Testament hot off the press. Carrying in a box of books might not look glamorous, but after hearing the stories of the sacrifices and joys since 1964 when this project started, it was an exciting moment.

But the story of God's Word in this part of the world is just beginning, because having the Bible in their own language is a turning point for many of the churches and believers in this area. They are excited to read and study the Bible themselves and many have a heart to share the Good News with their neighbors and even the world. These ladies below are sharing a song of praise as part of the celebration.


The celebration continued with a cuy lunch and a local music festival. That's guinea pig I'm eating, a delicacy here! Doesn't that make you want to come for a visit?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, just the other day Madeline asked me if she could have a guinea pig as a pet? (I said no). Wait till I tell her that some people eat it!

Take care and be safe!

IN Christ,

Angela

amy lineburg said...

Ha! That's too cute. ;) Just tonight I told a table of Peruvians that I had been able to tolerate eating guinea pig, although...it's a pet in the States! Gasps all around! I guess I can understand people eating an edible animal, but it's even funnier to me that people don't know it's a pet elsewhere. I mean, aren't they just so cute? :)

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Angela :-)