Saturday, August 11, 2007

Mount Foothill

My home city, Huánuco, is surrounded on all sides by the foothills of the Andes. They rise higher and higher to the west, peaking at the continental divide and then plummeting quickly to the coast. Last Monday, several friends from church, a guy from San Diego who grew up here, an intern from Belgium, and I hiked up one of those foothills. What a view!

Just behind us in the picture below is the mouth of the cave we had come to explore.

The initial drop is almost straight down, aided at the end by a rickety wooden ladder, which you can see in the upper right corner of the photo below.

Most of our group continued on to slide down crevices and see how far into the earth they could go. Another girl and I were satisfied to hang out in the main level of the cave with the local kids that decided to be our tour guides. Peru is a hiker/climber’s paradise, and it was fun to get outside and see some of the “neighborhood”.

Above: Celine climbing through the angled crevices. All photos thanks to Peter & Celine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pics, I'm jealous! But I have to admit I feel a little vertigo just looking at these!

Have fun and be SAFE!

Angela ;-)

Laural Out Loud said...

That's awesome! I've been in love with caves ever since I saw Tom Sawyer back in the day. And Tom Sawyer Island is still my favorite part of Disney Land.

What an amazing experience you are having. I love reading your blog and staying up to date on everthing you're doing.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

amy lineburg said...

Thanks!