Monday, July 23, 2007

Going Swimming

Sometimes waiting for God, trusting, feels like dropping little pebbles of faith down a shaft so deep you can't hear them 'clink' when they reach the bottom. It's dark and unclear and we don't really know what's on the other side. As I prayed last night about the future, I had that image come to mind...and immediately it was replaced with another, braver, bolder, more accurate(?) image.

Maybe waiting on God is more like being a little kid who really, really wants to go swimming on a hot, sticky summer day. I've got my swimsuit on and I'm at the edge of a pool, straining against my "Dad" who is holding me back. I'm wriggling and almost fighting Him, wanting to jump in--Now! But Dad knows better. He's waiting for the perfect time to give me what I want. See, I'm too young to understand, but the pool isn't full yet, and if I jumped in right now, the fun would be over real fast.

Sometimes waiting on God feels like we're hanging out in a black hole, but He knows our needs, dreams, and silly little wants, and He can't wait to give them to us...at just the right time.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13


4 comments:

lyss said...

"I'm too young to understand, but the pool isn't full yet, and if I jumped in right now, the fun would be over real fast."

:)

Yeah. Thanks for that. I think that image helps a little.

Angela said...

amy, i needed that! love the picture!

Blessings in Christ,

angela

matt & cheryl said...

oh amy...you often speak to my heart. :) i love hearing yours. thanks for the email a while back. i'm going to respond but don't have email access at home so computer time is short. hopefully soon. loving and praying for you

stormi esperanza said...

awesome post, amy. your transparency encourages me as i wiggle on the edge of my own pool.
love ya,
abigail