Sunday, July 08, 2007

So this is Huánuco...

Most likely you can't come to visit in person, but I can show you around a little bit through pictures! We'll start by turning right onto this street (photo left), where I walk by my church everyday on the way to my office. On the roof, you can see their white sign with blue lettering. I'm so grateful for the 3 Peruvian amigas God has blessed me with through my church! One of them helps me with my English, another works near by, and I'm helping the third with her linguistics studies. Having good friends in a new country seems crucial, and I know I'm blessed to have them in my life.


Then we turn right again at this street where my office is, along with other SIL staff and JAWCA (photo right). We're in the little green building on the left side of the street by the parked car. The two vehicles in the street are moto-taxis-- basically a motorcycle in the front with a seat over two wheels in the back. You can fit up to 3 people if you squeeze and can travel anywhere in town for only a sol (about 30 cents).

And here's my office, complete with a Nalgene bottle, a Monet print (thanks Jan!), and a map of all the languages of Peru. I am so grateful for the laptop that I was able to bring with me to Peru. It travels back and forth to work with me and also allows me to stay in touch with all of you. Many people's gifts made that possible--Thank you!

Of course there's more to this city then the few blocks around my work and home. I'll keep taking pictures to share with you here. It's great that we can keep in touch a little through the web!

3 comments:

matt & cheryl said...

Thanks for the tour amy. i love getting to see the normal life stuff that you experience daily. hmm, i've never been south of Mexico...maybe i'll have to visit you for my next trip. :) praying for you RIGHT NOW :)

Angela said...

Thanks for the pics amy!

in Christ,


angela

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. When my father came to visit me in Taiwan, we spent some time just walking around the streets between my house and work with him videotaping and me narrating for him to take back for my mother to see.